Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Djokovic Reaches Milestone In Cincinnati


I don’t want to waste your time, so I’ll get right to the point. With his win today, Novak Djokovic became the third-most successful player in the history of the Cincinnati Masters Series tournament, making him the first player in tennis history to rank in the top three at all nine masters series tournaments.

This is based on the same metric that I have used in previous posts, which is total ranking points earned. The formula is adjusted to the current ranking formula so that a quarterfinal appearance in Monte Carlo is worth 180 points regardless of whether it happened in 1994 or 2019.

In his career, Djokovic has now earned 4,605 points in Cincinnati, surpassing Michael Chang at 4,570 points. In the history of Cincinnati, which is Djokovic’s second worst tournament, he now only trails Roger Federer and Pete Sampras.

Federer is in the top three at eight of the nine tournaments, missing only Monte Carlo, where he ranks fourth behind Rafael Nadal, Thomas Muster and Djokovic. Rafael Nadal is among the top three at five of the tournaments, cracking the top-3 players in Canada last week with his title. He is also among the top three at Indian Wells, Monte Carlo, Madrid and Rome.

Djokovic is the most successful player at three of the Masters 1000s, which is tied for most with Nadal. Federer is the top player at two of the Masters Series events and Andre Agassi is the best player in the history of Miami.

Here is a breakdown of where Djokovic ranks at all 14 elite events.
First (3): Canada, Shanghai, Paris
Second (6): Australian Open, Indian Wells, Miami, Monte Carlo, Rome, Year-End Finals
Third (3): Madrid, Wimbledon, Cincinnati
Fourth (2): Roland Garros, US Open

The same breakdown for Federer
First (5): Australian Open, Indian Wells, Wimbledon, Cincinnati, Year-End Finals
Second (3): Madrid, Rome, US Open
Third (4): Miami, Roland Garros, Shanghai, Paris
Fourth (2): Monte Carlo, Canada

And for Nadal
First (4): Monte Carlo, Madrid, Rome, Roland Garros
Second (1): Canada
Third (1): Indian Wells
Fourth (1): Shanghai
Fifth or lower (7): Australian Open, Miami, Wimbledon, Cincinnati, US Open, Paris, Year-End Finals

Looking at the GOAT debate from this perspective might make someone wonder why Nadal is even in the conversation. There are six elite tournaments in which Nadal isn’t even among the five best players in the history of that tournament. Meanwhile, Djokovic and Federer are inside the top four in all 14 tournaments. Djokovic will likely finish his career inside the top three in all 14 tournaments.

No single metric can resolve the GOAT debate, but based on this metric, Djokovic is well on his way to finishing his career as the GOAT.

3 comments:

  1. Te has dejado a Edberg. Aunque jugó en los 80 parte de su carrera creo que deberías contarle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wilander también tiene mejor puntuación histórica que Nole en Cincy. No se puede hablar de mejor si obviamos una gran parte de la historia de la era open

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had struggle relationship with my husband in the past which led to divorce with my first husband. After i and my ex husband got divorced, i had another chance to re-marry again and just 5 years of my second marriage there was another divorce which almost killed me emotionally. I stayed for another two years been unmarried and a single mother. Honestly I wasn't really happy it because every woman need a man in her life, there was a time i saw my first husbands photo and i realized how much i loved him and have missed him. I tried to get to him but i was told that he moved on with his life and we may never been together again. I wept bitterly that night thinking i have lost the man that i have had so much love for. I asked for advise on what to do and a friend of mine gave me a contact of Osasu Solution Temple, i consulted him and to his very best with his powerful spells he helped me with a Reunion Marriage Love Spell to returned my ex husband back to me, in just 9 days i had enchanter with a spiritual reunion prayers with priest Osasu everything turn around for good in my life, I am now happily living with my first husband again and sort out the divorce issues. with the help of Osasu temple, his a man of wisdom and care. Thanks and i appreciate all the help you have rendered to get my ex husband back into my life again. I testify here today that Osasu temple is powerful it can resolve all problem in a broken relationship with love once. contact him for solutions to any kind of relationship problem. Email....(drosasu25@gmail.com) You can also call him or add him on WhatsApp +2347064365391

    ReplyDelete